Content:

Home - Kenyamyland blog
Popular Posts by Category - Content by Category
The Complex Case of Africa's Woes - The cry of a continent
My Kenyan Experience - Share your Kenyan story or experience
A Song for Kenya - The heart of a Nation
African Juxtaposition - No man's land
About Kenya - An Overview of Kenya
Kenya's Pride - The path of Progress
Contact Us - Talk to us

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My Take-Off Nightmare

The plane made a bold rumbling and taxied off towards take-off point, then lifted lazily into the sky. I knew the drill. I had been here several times before. Still I tensed up – something I did during take-off without fail. It seemed to me these large Boeings ascended rather slowly for their size (not true, just perspective) and at times felt like they were losing power and needed a push upwards. Mh, not very comfy…

All I wanted was for this part to be over and to see the cabin crew unbelt and get busy, a sign that all was well and clear. And soon my wish was granted. We acquired the height where the crew is allowed to unbelt, and they busied themselves preparing to feed us something. But then suddenly, as if on cue, the plane seemed to lurch downwards before bouncing up again. This happened a few times and soon the environment inside the plane was positively troubled as it became obvious our flight had encountered an unforeseen problem. We heaved up and down almost uncontrollably, sometimes appearing to be headed right for the ground. Very unsettling when you consider we were supposed to be climbing, not going down!

‘Cabin crew, take your seats,’ came the announcement on the intercom. And now I was positively horrified. See, this had never happened to me on a flight before. Everyone knew the crew usually did not belt up again until the landing, unless the plane was in serious trouble and the Captain foresaw danger. So it was that my heart jumped to my mouth.

I knew exactly who to blame. (Satan, who obviously did not want me to see my beloved country again!) So I pleaded with God silently. I reminded Him of all our earlier negotiations and conversations. ‘God please no. This is not what we talked about. You know I’ve got things to go do back home. You’ve got to see us through this,’ I prayed frantically as the plane continued to heave up and down. Sometimes it seemed to fall 10 meters straight before coming up again as the pilot struggled to stabilize the troubled craft.

I wish I could say this happened quickly but it infact seemed to go on forever as we made our ascent headed across the English Channel. Eventually though it did calm down and the Captain came on the intercom again. ‘We apologize about that. The turbulence we encountered had not been forecast and we have been informed that the aircraft before us went through the same turbulence.’

Mh, comforting! I thought. Unforeseen, unforecast turbulence. Fancy that…! What other unforecast things were we likely to encounter?

Soon the cabin crew were able to take off their belts and get busy with the service, but the belt-up sign remained for the rest of us and, frankly, I doubt anyone was in a hurry to unbelt.

The lady next to me busied herself putting on her socks while her husband looked straight ahead with clenched jaw, obviously concerned about the turbulent take-off. ‘That was a rough turbulence huh?’ I said when I had found my voice. ‘What turbulence?’ came the incredulous answer from the lady next to me. ‘Did you not feel it?’ I asked. She had to be joking. ‘No, I did not feel a thing.’

Well, lucky her, I thought. How she could have missed that, or the Captain’s announcement to the crew, I’ll never know. But she was the better for it – the rest of us were a basketcase of nerves. The turbulence had now eased considerably, but it was a long while later, somewhere over the Mediterranean, before we experienced a truly smooth flight.

Now flying has never really been my cup of tea but it has to be done. Truth be told, after the take-off, which I always find excruciatingly nerve-racking, the rest of it is a smooth ride. And despite what they say about the dangers thereof, I really do enjoy the landing. It never bothers me and usually signifies my arrival. (Of course I’m not naive, I know how many accidents happen during landing, but still, perspective like I said. I have no problem with landing.)

Take-off for me however is one of those necessary evils. As soon as the wheels leave the ground, I know the only safe way down is to get to the desired altitude and destination. As soon as the process begins I go involuntarily very quiet inside. Talking to me at this juncture is futile as I don’t verbally respond, maybe just a vacant stare. (Mark you I’m not the only one. Several people can be observed with their eyes tightly shut.)

Once the cabin crew unbelts I relax just a little but not enough, till the Captain removes the belting sign for everyone. At this point I relax a little more but it’s not until about an hour into the flight that I am myself again. Due to the tension I usually can’t stand that first meal served immediately after take-off. It’s all I can do not to scream, ‘Leave me alone! How can you think about food at a time like this?’ I only pick at this meal and am usually very relieved when the crew finally clears it from my little table.

Looking at me though, you would probably never guess how tense I get inside the first hour of flying. This is because I react by going quiet and withdrawing into myself as opposed to heavy breathing or verbal panic. But it’s still there.

I guess had it not been for this scary experience, I would never have known what they mean by turbulence. All my flights had been hitherto in huge, comfortable crafts and stable weather. But it had to happen on my final journey back to Kenya. I shudder to think what could have happened had it been a smaller aircraft. There were times I genuinely wondered whether we were going to plummet right back to the ground. It very much felt like it and I was beginning to silently ask God why He would get me so excited about going back home only to end it in this way.

Well, it didn’t happen and I am safely back in this beautiful land, thank God, but I developed a new respect for flying. You can never take anything for granted, and indeed you must always be prepared.

They never should have grounded the Concorde. I know in its old age it did a couple of terrible accidents but by and large, due to its unbelievable speed I'm sure one never felt the pain of take-off, and before you could begin to fidget you were home and dry. I was kinda hoping to get rich enough to use the Concorde when suddenly they announced its demise without any foreseeable resurrection. Well, I still believe another supersonic craft will arise, and hopefully by then, I'll be able to afford it!

No comments: